On Wednesday, February 22nd, 2023, presenters from The Fenway Institute, the California Department of Health Care Services, Marin County Behavioral Health & Recovery Services, Solano County Behavioral Health, and The Los Angeles LGBT Center outlined the landscape of Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity (SOGI) and Race, Ethnicity, and Language (REAL) data collection in behavioral health. Presenters described why it is imperative to collect this data and discussed how settings like county behavioral health departments and community health centers have been collecting such data to advance health equity efforts for their clients and patients.
At an individual level, for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer or Questioning, Intersex, Asexual, and more (LGBTQIA+) persons, and Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC), it is crucial to collect SOGI and REAL data to deliver the best possible care to each client and patient.
At a population level, the collection of client or patient data is a critical step in systemically documenting and addressing health inequities and disparities.
Presenters from this webinar include:
- Dr. Alex Keuroghlian, MD, MPH, Director, Division of Equity & Training at The Fenway Institute
- Dr. David Tian, MD, MPP, FASAM, Medical Consultant II, DHCS
- Dr. Vanessa Blum, PhD, Clinical Psychologist, Marin County Behavioral Health & Recovery Services
- Gabriel Garcia-Lopez, Director of Health Information Systems, Los Angeles LGBT Center
- Tracy Lacey, LMFT, Senior Mental Health Services Manager, Solano County Behavioral Health
Webinar moderated by:
- Peter Dy, Associate Director of Care Transformation, CPCA
- Elissa Feld, Senior Policy Analyst, CBHDA